Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Using The Day of the Week/Letter Method To Memorize Basic Math

Calculus is generally easier than algebra for most so they say. Like a gift for music or language I find math is not one thing but a combination of about five methods. Music marms often ask how it's possible for the student to find the foundation. Federated Association of Rescussitation, where's my GPS for my elevator!  It's easier once you make it past the foundation.

As I say on other posts, learning algebra or like multiplication is easier by just memorizing lists of the numbers converted to words and a good bit of experience. Even so the basics of addition and subtraction are too technical to use this method since in base 10 at any rate the result of adding and subtracting are based on position, and the basic element is too simple to not be abstract and rather implosive. It's too simple to make complex enough and "live". 

 Having accepted this after much experience and nail bit number crunching, I considered letters also by the same method musicians often use. (As many of the same gifts are used in music as math, this may also improve your chance of becoming a great musician also).

 When learning memory methods it's been found they have real value. Yet as above, here it seems is a set of number sets the set of more than all sets some may say who want to be a Phd in science or engineering, these methods were not of much worth to me for basic addition and subtraction. So I started to look at a more basic technical method. Technical is the other main method used in general learning in studies.  By technical, I mean in a real sense not the idea of a comic to remember the basic numbers and operations used. Rather here I mean a practical way of day by day more reliably increasing your memory for what you must or what you want about math. The definition of technical is about materials. What I mean by a technical method is a slower but surer method. Not a business razzle dazzle, just a math triumph! 


THE METHOD 

Instead of more showy memory tricks I use the days of the week. This is something well at hand. I have a real memo with each page divided. Below on the page I've written what I want to memorize. I draw a line down the blank page, this is for numbering the items to memorize. The number is to the left or right of the line to always find each item fast by the standard area of the numbers. In the center of the bottom of the page I write out what I want to remember in words for the numbers so I can have more memory power here. 

At the top are the numbers on the outside margin. Here also I list letters (first letter) for each of the words on the same memo below on the page


AND HERE'S...WHAT AN ADVANTAGE!!!

The memo at the bottom of the page is like the days of the week. I.e. Seven is SundayA; 14 is Sunday of week B 10 is WednesdayB; and so on. So 5 and seven are 12 becomes Friday plus seven is the second Friday. I even use this for negative numbers. 3 or WednesdayA minus 5 is back 2 days of the Week A minus two more of the weekend plus one more day, or minus 2. Here Sunday is 0.

One important think about this day method is consistency, you know where you are, Saturday is always the same, and the distance from Saturday to Tuesday is also. This is neither so absurd you can't memorize, no so abstract you can't visualize. Save wildlife, Have a Celebration! The distance (operation) is also more separate from the numbers, this makes them easier to recognize, and they're standardized. Multiples of seven are also the most difficult to memorize, and the distance is always 7 for a week. Tuesday and seven are tuesday. 

This weekday method is a second way of knowing what and how to memorize. It's easier to memorize by breaking it down to sub steps and also memorizing this as you learn. As is the above the two weekend and weekday steps are easier to digest than Weight Watchers and no Reader's digest in Ohio! You can visualize it and by going back and forth between the words and letters above, you know you know and so you cultivate your saavy more reliably. About making a goof I found that just a letter for a word creates a way to learn my goof. The letter T could be Tuesday or T day November 24th. As with any memorization method if you learn errors along with your improvements it can slow you down. If you learn music by luck you win as much as you lose in this horse race, rain or what, I could use the VISA!


 The letter for word method to make simple reliable exercises I realized is of value, more about this at any rate than even comic memorizations, and I've found lots of value with celebration in my life. Here's how to get the most. I use a pig latin method if I start to learn the words wrong. E.g. If I start to say Sunday instead of Saturday, when I reach the S, I simply say AterdaySaturday, with the rest of the word ahead, and I repeat this in loops with what goes ahead with the letters for words. This is right from the start. I write my math memos based on what I need to improve at the bottom or perhaps with words on one side and letters beside them about 1/5th the size. About 4 or so words/ letter/line for me is optimal. Then as I read over them each day I watch to always always detour my memory where I make a goof, and the habit is more built in. Watch your goofs and they help you and won't drag you down.

I think most should memorize something at any rate each day for good brain health. Research shows this dramatically boosts your ability to reason. To memorize, the faster way to get the overview is to start with two words and the letters and repeat them like two times (outloud is better where available) then repeat the next four just one time no doubt also going back and forth between the letters and words. You see the words on the page and this will boost your memory till you are more with the letters. By reps of 2 then one of 4 then the last two of these with two reps and the next 4 and so on is a way to memorize both for speed and depth, can't afford to do it slower. You can also go over them in loops of say all fives than all seven word loops so you digest the memory well by looking at it from other memory angles, like you clean in other light and with other mops and RoboFish methods!

Using the word letter loop methods, other than the errors by the wrong word, I would at times have trouble crossing down the next line, and this is solved simply by reps of the words for first the top line then the line below, linking them so there is no error here also as the above by like the two rep twice, and then the four rep in the loop. 

An older method I used before the pig latin that's helpful is also to look at the word and do reps of both the word and its letter, this wasn't as good as the "pig" to improve, but as you look at both the letter and the word it's visual and it is no doubt more memorable for an easy realm with exercise to boost your memory.

So, yes, you can have more than all! A memory math list for optimal celebration, a way to visualize by the days of the week, to break it down to easier use, a way to right your errors even from the foundation and you can make simple easy exercises to memorize, for good brain health. As I say on my music site you can use related methods to learn music and not learn just randumbness..You can combine this with the comedy to learn more and you can indeed use this type of method to learn anything where words are used. For example, I use these methods to learn what's of most import in my encyclopedias, plus comedy, plus like Ripley's Believe it Or Not, plus comedy for each memo on the page.



No comments: